Medzhidi Tabiya Fortress – Town of Silistra



The Turkish fort “Abdul Medzhidi” or the so-called Medzhidi Tabiya fortress is located south of Silistra and is the best preserved of the six defensive points of the Turkish fortification system, which played an important role during the Crimean war (1853 – 1856) and the wars between Russia and Turkey (1853 – 1856 and 1877 – 1878).
It was built because of the need to further strengthen the Danube cities, when the Danube river was established as a natural border of the Ottoman Empire. The facility was actively used during the war between Russia and Turkey for the liberation of Bulgaria in 1877 – 1878. The fortress has the shape of a hexagon and reaches 8 meters height. A ditch was dug next to it, which served for both obstruction and concealment. Medzhidi Tabiya is the only fortress with completely preserved interior and exterior belonging to the Ottoman period in Bulgaria.

Accommodation in Silistra

Additional Information

Throughout the year:
08.00 am – 08.00 pm,
works every day
adults – BGN 2,
students – BGN 1.
Guided tours in Bulgarian language – BGN 5,
in Russian, English and Romanian language – BGN 10.

More sites in Silistra region